Tourmaline Blow Dryers Reviews
Used by countless top hair salon professionals and home users, tourmaline blow dryers are a really popular choice when looking for an effective way to dry your hair and keep it looking gorgeous for longer.
It’s fair to say that tourmaline blow dryers are a relatively new addition to the world of hair care, so you may not be familiar with all the many advantages of using them.
In this guide, we’ll review the main benefits of using tourmaline hair dryers so you can make the right choice when buying your next hair dryer.
What Makes Tourmaline Blow Dryers Special?
In the beginning, all hair dryers used metal heating elements to heat up air. While this worked reasonably well, the heat produced was very dry and relatively difficult to control. As a result, having split ends and brittle hair was quite a common event in the lives of most women (and some men!)
Then came ceramic blow dryers. Ceramic hair dryers contain heating coils made from ceramic instead of metal. These ceramic coils produce a far more gentle type of heat which helps to seal in moisture and reduce frizz.
Tourmaline blow dryers are the next generation of ceramic dryer technology. At the heart of a tourmaline hair dryer is a ceramic heating element which contains crushed tourmaline.
You may have seen jewelry which contains tourmaline – it’s a semi-precious natural gemstone. But it also has major benefits when used in hair drying technology, which is why it is now used in tourmaline blow dryers.
How Do Tourmaline Hair Dryers Work?
When tourmaline is heated, it produces gentle infra-red heat. This infra-red heat easily penetrates your hair follicles to indirectly heat them from the inside out, locking in all the moisture and preventing unnecessary hair damage.
Better still, tourmaline also produces streams of negative ions when heated. These negative ions are extremely beneficial as they help to prevent frizziness by sealing each individual hair cuticle.
In terms of efficiency, tourmaline blow dryers produce around six times the amount of negative ions when compared to standard ceramic blow dryers.
What Are The Advantages?
Tourmaline blow dryers have four major advantages over other types of blow dryers:
- Greater Safety. By using infra-red heat rather than direct heat, tourmaline blow dryers are far less likely to burn your hair than other types of hair dryers. This means that they are ideally suited to anyone who regularly blow dries their hair.
- Better Conditioning. The high production of negative ions will help to lock in your hair’s natural moisture and stop it from becoming frizzy. As a result, your hair will keep looking beautifully smooth and naturally lustrous for longer.
- Faster Drying. The combination of negative ions and infra-red heat means that your hair will dry much faster than it would by using other types of hair dryers. In fact in a recent “Good Housekeeping” review, tourmaline blow dryers were found to dry hair over 40% faster than standard ceramic blow dryers did. That may not sound much, but it will probably add up to hours of saved time over the course of a year!
- Energy Efficiency. As tourmaline blow dryers produce a more controlled level of heat and dry hair faster, this means that they use less energy than other kinds of hair dryers – typically reducing the energy needed to dry your hair by around 26% or more.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Using A Tourmaline Blow Dryer?
As we’ve seen in this review, tourmaline blow dryers are far kinder to your hair and will dry it much faster than other kinds of blow dryers. When you add in the energy savings as well, it’s hard to find any downside to using them.
The only slight disadvantage to buying a tourmaline blow dryer is price. As they use the latest technology and deliver exceptional performance, tourmaline blow dryers can cost slightly more than basic blow dryer models.
But this price difference isn’t that much, and it’s greatly outweighed by all the extra benefits that using a good tourmaline blow dryer will give you.
Are Tourmaline Blow Dryers Expensive?
Not really. You can pick up an entry level tourmaline hair dryer for as little as $20. If you are looking for a more advanced salon model with more features and speeds, professional salon quality tourmaline blow dryers range between $75 to $250 plus.
Tourmaline blow dryers could be your perfect choice if you:
- Want to keep your hair looking natural and shiny, while greatly reducing the chances of heat damage or split ends
- Have long, thick hair which can become frizzy and unmanageable
- Want to reduce the time it takes to blow dry your hair
- Want to save energy
- Blow dry your hair frequently on a daily basis
Taking everything into account, we highly recommend tourmaline blow dryers and give them a score of 4.8 stars out of 5 for performance and value.